G.A. Carmichael Family Health Center, Inc. in collaboration with The Mississippi Breast and Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program strives for early detection of cancer in those women at highest risk.
Typically, these are the uninsured, the medically underserved, minority, and elderly women. These women are more likely to have advanced disease when symptoms appear, reflecting differences in access to screening and care.
With federal and matching funds, MSDH/BCCP offers Pap exam screening services at selected health department clinics, Community Health Centers and private providers to uninsured women between the ages of 40 and 64. Mammography screening is available through contracted providers to uninsured women between 50 and 64 years of age and older. Women 40 to 49 are eligible for screening mammograms when special funding is available. Special exceptions are available for those women between the ages of 18 and 39, but they must receive prior approval.
For further information about Breast and Cervical Cancer call G.A. Carmichael Family Health Center at (601)859-5213 or the MSDH at (601) 576-7466.
Breast Cancer in the U.S.:
- Breast cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death among non-white women nationwide.
- Breast cancer is the 3rd leading cause of death among white women.
- 14.1% of the estimated U.S. cancer cases in 2012 will be due to breast cancer.
- In 2015, it is estimated that 231,840 U.S. women will develop breast cancer, and 40,290 will die of it.
- Nationwide, the probability of developing breast cancer in a lifetime is 1 in every 8 women.
- 80% of all breast cancer cases are found in women over the age of 50.
Major breast cancer risk factors:
- Women over age 50
- Women whose mothers or sisters have had breast cancer
- Women who are childless or who start their families after they are 30
- Women who have had cancer in one breast
- Women who are overweight
- About 410 women die each year from breast cancer in Mississippi.
For a complete list sites Breast and Cervical Cancer Providers click the PDF document below.
Breast & Cervical Cancer Provider Listing